|Wine Barrels & Nitrogen Inerting|
- Transfer from Storage to Bottling
- and more!
The problem of prolonged exposure to oxygen is that it causes oxidation, effectively turning wine into a vinegar-like substance over time. The oxygen reacts with a microbe found in wine and starts converting the ethyl alcohol in the wine into acetic acid - the main component of vinegar!
Here are the ways Nitrogen as an inert gas is used to prevent oxygen exposure during wine making, storage, and bottling:
- Sparging: this is when Nitrogen (N2) is applied in the form of very fine gas bubbles in order to remove dissolved oxygen from the wine.
- Blanketing: the process of applying an inert Gas such as Nitrogen into a vessel to displace the oxygen is used during wine-making often to top the head space in partially filled tanks, barrels, or other containers.
- Flushing: just prior to bottling, air must be flushed from hoses, filter housing pumps, and the fill bowl by using a displacement gas such as Nitrogen.
- Wine Transfer: when transferring wine from one container to another, Nitrogen should be pumped through the vessels for blanketing and hoses should be flushed to remove oxygen. It may also be necessary to use sparging of the wine at this point to remove any oxygen that has already dissolved in wine.
- Topping: this is the process of replacing evaporated wine in the barrel. The "head space" in the barrel, also called "ullage," should be flushed with Nitrogen and then blanketed to eliminate oxygen.
- Bottling: oxidation is a particular risk during wine bottling due to the turbulence and mixing of wine with air in the filling process. It is important to flush wine bottles with Nitrogen prior to and after filling.
South-Tek Systems - Makers of Nitrogen Generators
South-Tek Systems designs and manufactures Nitrogen Generators for a wide range of industries including the wine industry. Using our Flow Verification Program, we can accurately measure a client's flow rate in order to match them with the appropriately sized Nitrogen Generator for their specific needs.
The tank mounted T-Series Nitrogen Generators are generally used for wine industry applications. These are available in a range of N2 Output levels and are equipped with a 60 gallon tank under 400 lbs. The T-Series Generators are not difficult to place, move, or reposition.
Contact South-Tek Systems today to get on your way to a more efficient and reliable Nitrogen system for your winery: 888-524-6284.
Further Reading on Nitrogen Uses in the Wine Industry:
Keeping Food Fresh with a Nitrogen Generator
Nitrogen Generators Aid in Bottling Wine
WineLast™ - Keep Your Wine Fresh & Tasting Great Longer